Saturday, October 13, 2012

The Elder Scrolls V: Hearthfire Review

The Elder Scrolls V: Hearthfire
Developed By: Bethesda Softworks
Published By: Zenimax
Date of Release: October 4, 2012
Price: $4.99


Ahh Skyrim... Just as I tire of trekking the endless expanses of valleys and fjords, something comes along to suck me back in to experience it's wonders again. Last time it was the massive addon pack known as Dawnguard, however this time the fare is somewhat more simplistic. That's not to say its any less majestic however, it's just on a more subtle scale this time. The expansion that I refer to is Hearthfire, and with it any hardy wanderer can build a home, and without even having to take an arrow to the knee in the process!

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


When I first heard about Hearthfire's homebuilding, my mind immediately turned to visions of The Sims and Minecraft in terms of construction systems. However I was pleasantly surprised to find that Hearthfire eschews any overcomplicated methods of homesteading and merely requires that you gather the supplies to build your home. After smithing any requisite hardware such as nails and hinges all you need do is choose from the blueprints what you need built, and the game handles the rest. Then it is a simple matter of furnishing your domicile with any odds and ends that you require to make your house a home. Any errands that you don't want to do yourself will be happily seen to by your steward.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


I only met with a few hiccups during my experiences with Hearthfire, such as my steward suddenly flailing about like a banshee and then glitching through the wall, no amount of reloading saves could get her back out. Sadly I had to strike at her arm until she perished, and I could drag her lifeless carcass out from the space between worlds. I gave her a funeral in the lake below my manor, using my dragonfire shout to transform her canoe into a fitting pyre. I then journeyed back to Whiterun, and appointed Lydia as my new steward. Unfortunately all she seems to do is laze about the house snoozing on any available bed. Ahh well, at least she's not trashing the place in a physics-fueled maelstrom. Although I was not able to figure out how to adopt children, I can honestly say that my experiences in Hearthfire are well worth the meager asking price. I can wholeheartedly recommend this expansion to anyone who has wanted a customizable place to call their home.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add your comment here. Please be polite!