Friday, August 24, 2012

The Elder Scrolls V: Dawnguard Review

The Elder Scrolls V: Dawnguard
Developed by: Bethesda Game Studios
Published by: Bethesda Softworks
Date of Release: August 2, 2012
Price: $19.99 (Steam)


Back in November of 2011 when The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim launched, it did so to great critical acclaim. Despite a few bugs here and there, it was quite a favorable experience and left many fans wanting more. Well the wait is over, the first expansion for Skyrim is here! Titled Dawnguard, it chronicles the long-fought struggle between mankind and the oh so recently over-popular children of the night: vampires. Though you may cringe in fear of angsty teen supernatural romance, this is an epic tale worthy of the Elder Scrolls name, not Twilight. These vampires do NOT sparkle.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


When I first started playing Skyrim again after installing Dawnguard I took an hour or so to tie up some loose ends and finish some of the extra quests in my journal. I heard rumors of vampires and the return of the Dawnguard, however i decided to take my time and see to my own matters first. I was NOT prepared for a full-fledged vampire assault on my own hometown of Whiterun, (which sadly left Adrianne Avenicci dead). Choking back tears as the courier delivered my inheritance, I vowed to see this undead scourge wiped from the land.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


I would imagine that the motives for each player's journey through Dawnguard will differ in how they first encounter the vampiric scourge, and whether they wish to side with them, or fight them. I for one immediately sought out the fortress of the dawnguard, and was quick to join their ranks. I really missed the antics of my glitchy npc blacksmith neighbor, and those undead bastards were gonna pay for her death.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


However enough about me, let's talk upgrades! Three new blessings, four new shouts, and nine new spells! You want more friends and foes? Try 80 new NPC characters split between factions! Still not enough? Fine, have a werewolf skill tree, and the ability ro transform into a vampire lord! But wait, there's more! New areas to discover! 40 more quests! Crossbows! Sexy undead princesses! And ABSOLUTELY NO EMO TEENAGE VAMPIRES WHO SPARKLE IN THE SUN! You know we can't keep doing this all day folks, so place your order now! Just one easy payment of $19.99, OR your eternal soul. All major credit cards and PayPal accepted!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add your comment here. Please be polite!